Come and try Badminton outdoors (AirBadminton) in a welcoming and inclusive environment for all abilities.
When: Wednesday 9th December 2020
- Morning Session: 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM - Register here
- Afternoon Session: 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM - Register here
All you need to do is:
- Register participants and accompanying support workers parents or guardians with this online form
- Wear a face mask, hat, sunscreen, sports shoes/sneakers and comfortable clothing for physical activity at the session
- Bring a filled water bottle, towel, a badminton racquet (if you have one) AND for an activity, a spare pair of clean socks to the session
- Have fun!
We will provide for each participant:
- Loan of badminton racquet (sanitised before the session)
- Shuttlecocks ("shuttles")
- Gifts from Badminton Victoria
- Hand sanitiser, sprays, wipes and disposable gloves (See below for more COVIDSafe information)
In the event of extreme weather:
Indoor badminton courts will be available subject to government restrictions for indoor community sport.
TRAVELLING TO THE ALTONA BADMINTON CENTRE
Catch the Train to Newport and walk 2.2kms west along Mason Street, or catch the bus and alight at the corner of Mason Street & Blenheim Road / Hansen Street, walk west for a couple of hundred metres.
Travel by bus from Williamstown or Sunshine, Bus Route 471. View route
Travel by bus from Yarraville to Newport Bus Route 432. View route
Badminton is a versatile sport and is played by people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities around the world. All you need is something for a lightweight racquet and a shuttlecock (or "shuttle" for short) to start.
As the world's fastest racquet sport, Badminton has been an Olympic sport since 1992. There are also adapted classifications of the game for people with a physical disability called Para badminton, which will debut at the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games.
You may have also played badminton in your backyard, at the park or the beach before... Which is why the new outdoor badminton game, AirBadminton was launched last year by the Badminton World Federation!
Being COVIDSafe at the session
The session will be regulated as per the Badminton Victoria Return To Play Information (PDF) and relevant government and industry restrictions here.
Registration is mandatory for participation and precautionary contact tracing for COVID-19 - no walk-in participants will be accepted. Where supervised participation is essential, a participant may be accompanied by one support worker, parent or guardian for activities.
For the session, participants will be allocated to a group of a maximum of 10 participants, plus one coach and accompanying supervisors. All equipment will be provided on loan with minimal sharing and sanitation between sessions.
Registration for event closes at Mon 07 Dec 2020 23:59.